Corporate & Business Transactions
McDowell Rice’s Corporate and Business Transaction Law Group consists of experienced, highly trained attorneys, several with graduate degrees in business and tax, with expertise advising clients on all aspects of corporate formation, liability, tax, and dissolution issues. The Corporate and Business Transaction Group assists clients on entity choice, including liability and tax attributes of all types of corporate and partnership entities under Federal and State law, including C corporations and S corporations and all other pass-through entities such as LLCs, LPs and LLPs. Our lawyers organize the entity chosen by our clients, creating Articles of Incorporation or Organization, By-laws, Operating Agreements, Shareholder / Partner / Member Agreements restricting transfer of stock/ownership interests as clients direct. As entities mature, we provide transactional services including negotiation and documentation of corporate contracts, stock purchase and sale agreements, merger documentation, letters of intent, asset sale and purchase agreements, and join venture agreements.
In conjunction with other practice areas, we consult on personnel matters such as employment agreements, employee incentive plans and employee terminations. We coordinate with other lawyers and accountants to provide tax planning services for entities / transactions. With our Real Estate Group’s attorneys, we provide advice to developer clients and others whose needs include the acquisition and disposition of real property, including the preparation of pertinent documentation authorizing such transactions. We represent a varied group of companies and their owners, including banks, insurance brokers, doctors and other health care professionals, engineers, architects, developers, contractors, service companies and retail and restaurant companies. Our attorneys have handled mergers and acquisitions throughout the Midwest and nationwide.
A representative sample of the firm's services in this arena include:
- Sale of nationally-based health clubs
- Acquisition of automotive dealership
- Sale of health club equipment
- Sale of trucking company assets
- Acquisition of juice company assets
- Sale of the stock of a large local general insurance brokerage company to a well-known worldwide brokerage company
- General business advice to a national aircraft parts distributor
- Organization of and business advice to a regional developer of stand-alone stores for a nationwide retailer
- Sale of the assets of a national recreational equipment company to an equity fund
- Advice to a nationwide insurance broker on contracts and other business matters